Welcome to Year 1
Summer Term in Year 1
Meet the team:
- Mrs Calthorpe – Class Teacher
- Mrs Walters – Class Teacher
- Miss Bardsley – Class Teacher
- Mrs Warrington – Learning Support Assistant
- Miss Lyne – Learning Support Assistant
Our theme is ‘Curiosity’. We will be wondering… asking questions… imagining… and nurturing pupils eager desire to learn, explore and investigate.
We will look at the world through the inquisitive eyes of Ada Twist who loved to detect and solve problems. Like Ada, we will work innovatively to invent our own products in D&T. We will consider Beegu’s first impression of planet earth and explore the similarities and differences of life in outer space and planet earth using the book Man on the Moon. We will think inquisitively about what it might have been like to witness and observe the vast developments in our understanding of space through the eyes of Queen Elizabeth II.
Our theme is underpinned by our 4 school drivers: Collaboration, Possibilities, Respect and Technology and these will shape the core of our learning this term.
Collaboration: Through our theme we will explore what it means to be courageous. Think about how we are resilient and how our opinions and shared voice could impact the world around us.
Possibilities: Perseverance and resilience are life-long skills. We will be exploring, learning from our mistakes and continue practise the motto ‘Don’t waste a good mistake, learn from it’.
Respect: We will continue to respect our school environment, our friends and each other’s personal space as well as learn about how to look after animals.
Technology: In the ever-changing world of technology we will learn about digital images in various forms and using computer keyboards.
Summer Learning at a glance
Number: Place Value (within 100)
Addition and Subtraction
Multiplication and Division
Money & Time
Writing – To entertain and inform including; character and setting descriptions, letters, instructions, non-chronological reports, stories with imaginary settings and diary entries
Reading – decoding and wider reading strategies, text type features and retrieving information from a text and making inferences from what is said and done
Phonics –We are continuing to learn new digraphs as well as alternative representations of known digraphs.
Plants and Seasonal Change
Significant people in living memory: Monarchs
Geographical skills and field work
Programming and computing in the wider world
- PE kits should be kept in school throughout the term. We have PE twice a week. Note: school PE kit does not need to be worn at after school clubs
- Reading books will be changed weekly on a Friday. We read in class daily so please ensure your child brings their book and reading record to school everyday.
- Spellings will be sent home on the first week of term.
- Home Learning will be shared on a Friday and should be returned to school on a Wednesday.
- Teachers will be available every day before and after school ready to talk about any concerns, receive messages and celebrate successes.
We have a Year 1 Twitter account @CHPSYR1. Please follow us to share in the exciting learning experiences your children are enjoying.