Welcome to Year 1
· Mrs Illidge – Class Teacher
· Mr Ince – Class Teacher
· Mrs Swindles – Teaching Assistant
· Mrs Walters – PPA Teacher
Our Spring Term theme is ‘The lion inside…’ where we will be learning about what it means to be brave… about animals… people who have made significant contributions to the world we live in today like Amelia Earhart and The Wright brothers as well as sculpting with clay and creating digital images. Our theme, underpinned by our 4 school drivers: Collaboration, Possibilities, Respect and Technology will shape the core of our learning this term.
Our curriculum will be inspired by our Spring Bookshelf filled with exciting, high-quality texts.
We will be exploring ‘The Lion Inside’ by Rachel Bright first.
Addition and Subtraction within 20; Place value within 50
Length and height; weight and volume
Writing – 3 part stories, character description, recount and non-chronological reports
Reading – decoding skills, text type features and retrieving information from a text
Phonics –We are continuing to learn new digraphs as well as alternative representations of known digraphs.
Animals including humans; senses, physical features, animal babies, food
Significant people in living memory: Amelia Earhart; The Wright Brothers
Human and physical features of our local area, naming places around the world and locating them on a map
Collaboration: Through our theme we will explore what it means to be brave. Think about how we are resilient and how our opinions and shared voice could impact the world around us.
Possibilities: Perseverance and resilience are life-long skills. We will be exploring, learning from our mistakes and continue practise the motto ‘Don’t waste a good mistake, learn from it’.
Respect: We will continue to respect our school environment, our friends and each other’s personal space.
Technology: In the ever-changing world of technology we will learn about digital images in various forms and using computer keyboards.
· PE kits should be kept in school throughout the term. PE will be on Monday and Tuesday in year 1. Note: school PE kit does not need to be worn at after school clubs
· Reading books will be changed weekly.
· Home Learning and spellings will be sent home on the first week of term.
· Teachers will be available every day before and after school ready to talk about any concerns, receive messages and celebrate successes.
· Follow us on Twitter account @CHPSYR1