Welcome to Year 5
Meet the Team:
Miss Blomfield – Class Teacher
Miss Kodsy – Class Teacher
Mrs Bennett – Learning Support Assistant
Miss Sannwald – Learning Support Assistant
Autumn Term Overview
Our Autumn Term theme is ‘Courage’. Our learning will be underpinned by our Autumn bookshelf; filled with inspiring and engaging texts to spark our imaginations and teach us the many different ways people and characters can demonstrate courage and how the idea of courage can apply to many different contexts. These books include non-fiction and information texts, picture books, narratives and novels. All of these texts will help us explore the ideas of ‘courage’ in different forms.
‘Odd and the Frost Giants’ is a novel which links to our History learning about the Vikings! It is about a young boy called Odd who ventures into the unknown and faces challenges he did not expect!
Stonewall: A building, An Uprising, A Revolution is a non-fiction text about the Stonewall movement which began in New York City in 1969.
We will also read Sky Song, Black Dog and The Iron Man to supplement and support our English and Reading curriculum as well as our foundation subjects.
Our Maths learning this term will begin by developing our place value knowledge with numbers to 1,000,000 before moving onto Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication and Division and eventually Fractions.
In Geography, we will be comparing Scandanavia and Britain. As part of this we will learn about biomes across the world and how there are common characteristics from biomes in particular climate area. We will also learn about vegetation zones and how to locate this on an atlas. This learning will then be consolidated and added to through our work in History when we study the Vikings and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England.
As always, we will be exploring the theme of hope right across our curriculum, and our learning will be led by our four school drivers: Collaboration, Possibilities, Respect and Technology.
- PE will be on Mondays and Wednesdays, although this may be subject to change so please ensure you always have your PE kit in school.
- Your book bag containing your reading books and reading log should be brought to school each day.
- Home Learning will be set on a Friday and is due in the following Wednesday.
- Spellings can be accessed via Spelling Shed, with a new set of 10 words being learnt each week.
- A spelling quiz will be held every Friday.
- We would encourage pupils to read every day to develop their love for reading.
- We would also encourage your child to practise their times tables at home on Times Tables Rock Stars to ensure they have a secure understanding and recall of these facts to support their learning in school
- The Year 5 teachers will be available every day before and after school to talk about any concerns, receive messages and celebrate successes.
We will regularly be posting insights into the classroom on our class Twitter account. Please follow @CHPSYR5 to keep up to date!